Sunday, October 10, 2010

Killer Artichokes

Since we started getting Bountiful Baskets we have been trying a lot of different things. Some we have had before, broccoli, cabbage, peaches, pears plums... some were new to us: okra, asian pears, cauliflower, green plums...either way I have been searching for new recipes to cook these fruits and veggies in new ways. So far this is my favorite. I love artichokes (I forgot how much since it has probably been 15 years since I have had one fresh) and this is the best artichoke I have ever had. I got the recipe at allrecipies.com here.

2 artichokes, halved and choke scraped out
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 shallot chopped*
1/2 cup butter

*I didn't have a shallot and substituted an onion. It was still really good.
1. Preheat outdoor grill for low heat
2. Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the artichokes into the boiling water, add salt and pepper. Throw in half of the garlic and half of the shallot. Boil for about a half hour, or until a fork is easily inserted into the stem of the artichoke. Drain and set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in the remaining garlic and shallot. Cook just until fragrant then remove from heat.
4. Place the artichokes on the preheated grill. Brush some of the melted butter on them. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes brushing with butter occasionally until lightly toasted. Serve with remaining butter as dipping sauce.


No comments: