Saturday, February 12, 2011
Basket 411: Breakfast Cookies
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Marinating chicken and peppers and onions in a highly flavored marinade and then grilling gives it all the flavor without fat. A spiced creamy yogurt sauce and avocado sauce wrapped in a corn tortilla with fresh cilantro keeps the fajitas healthy and fresh tasting.
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves, plus extra for serving
- 1/4 cup lime juice, about 2 limes
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth (GF)
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeded if desired
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2-pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 orange and/or yellow bell peppers, quartered, seeds removed
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup fat-free Greek Yogurt
- 12 corn tortillas
1. Put the cilantro, lime juice, broth, scallions, garlic, jalapeno, honey, and salt in a blender, puree until smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons; do not wash out the blender.
Put chicken breasts in a medium bowl and the peppers and onions in another. Divide the remaining cilantro puree evenly between the chicken and the peppers and onions. Toss well to coat the chicken and vegetables and let stand, at room temperature, for 30 minutes.
2. Add the avocado, 1/2 cup water, and the reserved 2 tablespoons cilantro sauce to the blender. Puree until smooth and season with salt. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a small skillet set over medium heat until hot. Add the cumin and coriander and continue to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour the spices over the yogurt and set aside for the flavors to blend. Stir before serving.
4. Preheat a grill for medium-high/direct heat cooking. Oil the grill grates. Grill the chicken and vegetables, turning, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F, about 5 to 8 minutes for the vegetables and 12 to 15 minutes for the chicken. Let chicken rest 5 minutes. Place the tortillas on the grill until just warmed through, about 30 seconds.
5. To assemble the fajitas: slice the onions and peppers into thin strips and then slice the chicken. Place some peppers, onions, chicken and cilantro in a tortilla topped with the spiced yogurt and the avocado sauce.