Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
4 chicken breast halves
1 box Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix (Near East brand is best, but Uncle Ben's is easier to find.)
1 quart chicken stock or broth
1 quart milk or evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
salt and pepper
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 of the poultry seasoning and salt. Cook it in a tiny bit of olive oil over medium heat. Cover to avoid drying out.
- At the same time, cook the rice according to the directions on the box.
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add chopped carrots and celery and pepper to taste, and saute for about 10 minutes until tender. Add flour, cornstarch and the rest of the poultry seasoning, and whisk together quickly.
- Add stock and milk, whisking quickly as you pour. Cook over medium-low heat stirring often.
- When the chicken and rice are finished, cut chicken into bite-size pieces and add both to the soup.